The St. Louis County Circuit Court is comprised of twenty-one (21) Circuit Judges, fourteen (14) Associate Circuit Judges and eight (8) Commissioners. Each judge and commissioner is assigned to a specific division, except for the Probate Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner.
Click a button below to view Judge/Commissioner by:
Honorable John Newsham
Associate Circuit Judge, Division 40
John F. Newsham was appointed Associate Circuit Judge in March of 2018 by Governor Eric Greitens.
Before his appointment to the bench, Judge Newsham was a partner with the law firm of Dill, Bamvakais & Newsham, P.C. His legal practice focused primarily on criminal defense and administrative license issues, but he practiced in many other areas of the law over the course of 33 years. Judge Newsham previously served with the office of the Missouri State Public Defender and also served as public defender for the St. Louis County Municipal Court.
He graduated from Rosary High School in 1977, from St. Louis University in May, 1981 and attended law school at St. Louis University graduating in 1984.
Judge Newsham is a former municipal judge for the City of Crestwood and a member of the Crestwood-Sunset Hills Kiwanis Group. He has published an article in the Missouri Bar Journal in 2010, was a contributing author to the MOBarCLE Deskbook on DWI. He and was previously recognized for Outstanding Leadership and Dedication to MoBarCLE for making substantial contributions to the continuing legal education of Missouri's attorneys.
Judge Newsham resides in St. Louis County with his family.
1. Division 40 is now holding all arraignment hearings, bond review hearings, preliminary hearings and any hearing that requires testimony in person/in the courtroom.
2. FOR ALL PRELIMINARY HEARINGS, AT THIS TIME, ALL DEFENDANTS UNLESS EXCUSED IN ADVANCE MUST APPEAR IN PERSON IN DIVISION 40.
3. The Court will also hold all other hearings involving testimony and/or matters that are or could be placed on the record in person/in the courtroom.
4. Please direct any questions to the court by emailing the Court at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or call 314-615-1540.
5. Any party may also web-ex into Division 40 any morning at 9:00 and inquire of the Court.
6. WEBEX INFORMATION: PLEASE MUTE YOUR MICROPHONE UPON ENTRY TO THE MEETING. PRIOR TO THE HEARING, PLEASE BE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THE WEBEX APP, ENSURE THAT YOUR VIDEO CAMERA WORKS, AND RENAME YOUR WEBEX USERNAME TO YOUR FULL NAME.
a. YOU MAY JOIN DIVISION 40 PROCEEDINGS BY ENTERING THE COURTROOM VIA WEBEX
b. BY: * URL: https://mocourts.webex.com/meet/vcdiv40mtg
c. OR * MEETING NUMBER: 146 751 0475 (WWW.WEBEX.COM AND "JOIN" THE MEETING) OR:* JOIN BY PHONE: +1-408-418-9388 (TOLLS APPLY); ENTER MEETING NUMBER: 146 751 0475
d. INFORMATION ON SETTING ANY TYPE OF MOTION (bond reviews, non-traffic warrant recalls that the State is not consenting, bond modification motions and/or any other type of motion not stated).
7. In order to set a motion, please contact the division clerk for a date by emailing the clerk at: email@example.com
8. Please don't just pick a date and file your motion because we have limited space each day due to the structure of the dockets during this pandemic.
9. If someone from the Division does not respond to you within 48 hours, call 314-615-1540. Once you receive your date, please e-file a notice of hearing and send an email to the prosecuting attorney who is entered on the case.
10. ALL WARRANT RECALL MOTIONS BY CONSENT should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org with opposing counsel on each and every email. Please check after 48 hours to see if the warrant was recalled.
11. If not, email the court at the above email and call the Court at 314-615-1540.
12. FOR ALL FORMS FOR PLEAS OF GUILTY TO DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED CASES and/or MISDEMEANORS: Contact the Court at email@example.com and the Court will email you the forms.
13. On all pleas, this Division will require the attorney and the Defendant to appear in person unless Covid protocols and presiding judge's order prohibit same.
14. ON ALL CALL DOCKETS Defendants and attorneys are expected to appear via web-ex at this time or in person in St. Louis County Circuit Court.
15. If the Defendant does not appear and/or the Defendant's attorney does not appear, the Court may issue a warrant for the Defendant's arrest.
16. FOR ANY OTHER INQUIRIES INCLUDING FUTURE COURT DATES FOR PRELIMINARY HEARINGS, please email the Court at firstname.lastname@example.org
a. If the Court does not respond to you within 48 hours, call 314-615-1540. Please don't just pick a date and file your NOTICE OF HEARING FOR PRELIMINARY HEARING because we have limited space each day due to the structure of the dockets during this pandemic and because of the requirements of revised Rule 22.09(a) (effective March 1, 2021).
b. ***Once you receive your date, please e-file a notice of hearing and send an email to the prosecuting attorney who is entered on the case.
DIVISION 40 THANKS YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND COOPERATION - AGAIN - YOU CAN ALWAYS USE WEBEX AND JOIN THE MEETING IN DIVISION 40 AT 9:00 A.M. WITH ANY QUESTIONS THANK YOU
Floor: 3 Justice Center